The Geordie Glossary
March 21, 2012
During your time in Newcastle you will encounter the world famous Geordie, and so here’s a quick guide to this fierce and proud local language.
- Haw tha deeing – how are you doing today?
- Whayaye – Why Yes, I agree
- Wot gan’s on huw – what’s going on?
- Weor’s the netty – where is the toilet please?
- Gizabroon marra – one bottle of Brown Ale please?
- Am gannin owt the neet like – I’m going out tonight
- Givower man – Don’t be stupid, what are you talking about
- Doonthehatch – cheers, good health
- Smashinbaitthat – that meal was delicious
- Am gannin hyem – I’m going home
- Gan canny doon the Toon – go well when you are in Newcastle.
Recommended Reading: Larn yersel’ Geordie by Scott Dobson